Monday, August 11, 2008

Round Buckles


To day we make Cib's Round Buckles! These are the most basic buckles I know how to make, they take very little time, are very easy, and seem to hold up very well. As far as I know they are also my original design. Lets get started!

You Need:
  • REALY Thick Wire (I use 12 Gauge)
  • Thick Wire (I use 16 Gauge)
  • Aviation Snips (also known as tin snips)
  • Gloves
  • Goggles
  • 3/4" PVC
  • File (Optional)
  • 2 sets of Pliers (Optionaly get 2 needle nose and one standard one)
  • Drill
  • Bit (same size or a little bit bigger than your thickest wire)

1. Take your PVC and drill a hole right through it. You might want to clamp it down, I dont have trouble without clamps though.

And out the other side, like so.

2. Take your thickest wire (12 guage in my case) and thread it through the hole a bit. If this is to hard just quit now. ;)

3. Wind it around the PVC. How many times is totally up to you, how many buckles are you making?

4. Put safety gear on NOW!

5. Cut here..


... and here.


And you will have a nice spring (better known in armor world as coils).

6. Cut them apart. Place a glove over the rings as you cut them, they can (and will) go flying every once in a wile across the room. They can break things.

7. Optionally, you can file the ends to make them flat and fit better.

8. Take ring in pliers like so. I would substitute one of the needle nose pliers for a regular one, much easier.


Was the picture to hard to see? Here is a closer one...


It should look like this !


9. take the thick wire that is not as thick as the thickest wire (16 gauge in my case), thread it through the big ring about this much.

10. Fold it over like this.


Continue to to fold it over till it is like this.


11. Cut off the extra little bit.


And then cut about here.


Vala! A buckle!

Extra reading err... I mean viewing:
How to make a really nice rect buckle out of a nail with nice equipment I don't own. However I would highly suggest you chek out this video to get ideas.

No comments: